A little about me...
Hello everyone! Thank you for taking the time to read my posts about my life as a new athletic trainer in southwest Kansas. I graduated from Washburn University in May 2011 and came home to an outpatient physical therapy/outreach athletic training clinic. I currently spend 3 days a week in the clinic treating primarily workman's compensation patients and 2 days a week visiting 5 area high schools providing athletic training services. I hope you find my posts interesting, and if you have any questions, please don't hesitiate to ask!
Sunday, January 29, 2012
Wrestling Tournament
Friday and Saturday brought the "fun" part of my job. I worked a high school wrestling tournament at my high school (which I graduated from 7 years ago) that featured 28 teams from Kansas, New Mexico and Colorado. This tournament is arguably tougher than any other high school tournament, and many say it is harder than the regional and state tournaments that these wrestlers will compete in, in a few weeks.
The good thing about Athletic Training is, when I'm 'bored' and not busy, its a good thing. Generally for most of the weekend, I had a few bloody noses, scratches on the face, and busted lips to treat. The only "serious" injury I had to deal with, was the dislocated shoulder one of the wrestlers suffered.
The most challenging thing about being an Athletic Trainer working at a wrestling tournament, is the fact you only have 90 seconds of injury time per match. We, as athletic trainers, are expected to evaluate, diagnosis and see if the athlete may return to competition in just a mere 90 seconds. Generally, asking the athlete how the injury occured takes 90 seconds.
I love working events, especially when the competition levels of the athletes are so high. Seeing these athletes work as hard as they possibly can for 5-6 minutes definitely makes wrestling a sport like no other.
Now off to 5 nights this week of basketball!
Until next time........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


That is high pressure to only have 90 seconds to make the decision of whether the athlete can continue to participate. Do other sports have a time limit like that? I played soccer and basketball and I don't ever remember there being a time limit but those are also team sports where you usually sub the player out to make the evaluation.
ReplyDeleteThat's pretty cool! Didn't know there was a limit on the amount of time you have to do that! I suppose it makes sense and eliminates the possibility (to a degree) of a player using the time as an advantage.
ReplyDeleteRachel and Martha-
ReplyDeleteThere is 90 seconds of injury per match and 3 minutes of blood time that each wrestler is granted. The official can also grant an allotted amount of recovery time if they choose to. They use recovery time if they get the wind knocked out of them or for other injuries such as that.
It is definitely a high pressure situation. No other sports have that type of rule, but I'd imagine that they do it so kids don't uses "injuries" to have an extra advantage.